The 53rd Infantry “Matapat” Battalion (53IB) in partnership with the Zamboanga del Sur (ZDS) Provincial Government, 1st Congressional District ZDS, 1st Civil-Military “Mahigalaon” Battalion (1CMO), 1st Field Artillery “Beat ‘Em” Battalion (1FAB), and 1st Cavalry “Tagapanguna” Battalion (1CAV), and 1st Division Training School (1DTS) held the Second Batch of Youth Leadership Summit (YLS) ZDS 2021 at 1st Infantry “Tabak” Division Headquarters, Kuta Maj. Cesar Sang-an, Labangan, ZDS on April 15-17, 2021.
1st District ZDS Representative and House Deputy Speaker Cong. Divina Grace Yu was the Guest of Honor and Speaker during the opening program on April 15 and closing program on April 17. 1ID Commander Maj. Gen. Gene Ponio, 1ID Assistant Division Commander Brig. Gen. Bagnis Gaerlan Jr., and 53IB Commanding Officer Lt. Col. Jo-ar Herrera also delivered their messages.
“The YLSZDS 2021 activities promote leadership and peace advocacy among the youth. We encourage young people in Zamboanga del Sur to support the government’s programs for their benefits and become instruments of positive change in society for peace and progress,” Cong. Divina Grace Yu said.
On Day 1 Plenary, at least 99 participants attended with the following lectures:
- Indigenous Peoples Culture Sensitivity by Pastor Ruben Bualan of Pantad, Lapuyan, ZDS
- Servant Leadership by 53IB YLSZDS Focal Person 1Lt. Jerick Papa
- Bangsomoro Culture Sensitivity, Islamic Schools of Thought and Preventing and Countering Violent Extremism (PCVE) by Uztadz Juhair Usman Omar
- YLS History by YLS Facilitator Muspek Musa
- The Role of Youth in Nation Building by ZDS Youth Movement President Jeyzel Victoria Yu
- Communist NPA Terrorist Infltration to the Youth Sector by Ssg. Frederick Pagaduan
- Psychology of Manipulation together with the Friends Rescued Lory Jean Narvasa, Jonilou Labrito, and Jonard Tudlisan
The YLS participants showcased their talents, artistry, and creativity on Guidon, poster, banner, and cheerleading contest.
The 1st day activities were concluded with a “Light for Peace” activity where 1DTS Executive Officer Maj. Rhuderick Yan Pani-agua gave a blessed brown scapular to each participant.
On Day 2 Plenary, the following lectures were conducted:
- Preventing and Countering Violent Extremism (PCVE) by 53IB Executive Officer Capt. Bahnarin Camsa
- Drug Addiction, Awareness and Prevention (RA 9165: Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002) by ZDS Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency Provincial Officer Cesario Judilla Jr.
- The Role of Youth as Catalyst for Peace by 53IB Commanding Officer Lt. Col. Jo-ar Herrera
- Human Trafficking and Sexual Violence and Exploitation by PSms. Rosel Manliques Maglinte
- HIV/AIDS Awareness by Aines Catherine Evangelists of Pamet, Pagadian City
- HIV/AIDS/COVID Awareness by Licensed HIV Counselor Nemia Flores Algar
- Mental Health and Well Being by Good Life Academy President Psychotherapist-Life Coach Dr. Moibe Olitres, RGC
After the lectures, YLS facilitators conducted Zumba/Taebo, Amazing Race and Shower for Peace to the participants. Day 2 ended with a Socialization Cultural/Solidarity Night hosted by 1CMO Commanding Officer Lt. Col. John Andrada.
On Day 3, the participant undertook Towering and Obstacle Course activities at 1DTS. During the closing program, Certificate of Recognition were given to each participant.
“The YLSZDS 2021 highlights the role of youth in today’s modern world as movers and advocates for a progressive society. in order to become successful leaders in the future, that youth must start now in developing themselves and cultivating the values of a good leader. The youth should look forward in leading their communities toward peace and progress,” Lt. Col. Jo-Ar Herrera said.
“I would like to call on the youth for united action. the youth should be united to work for peaceful communities by avoiding the influence of communist terrorists. The youth should advocate peace by cooperating with the government that is genuinely serving the people for peace and development,” Lt. Col. Herrera said.