The Philippine Army’s 53rd Infantry “MATAPAT” Battalion (53IB) Commanding Officer Lt. Col. Jo-ar Herrera exhorted the Matapat Troopers of their mandate as servant-soldiers during the Flag Raising Ceremony on March 8, 2021, at 53IB Headquarters, Camp David Sabido, Guipos, Zamboanga del Sur.
“The purpose of being a soldier is to serve the people in the communities in our Area of Operations. We are distinct from the NPA who takes everything they see in the community,” Lt. Col. Herrera said.
“As public servants, we should have a mindset of genuine public service and glorify God in serving our country. We are here not to be served but to serve the people in the communities especially in the far-flung barangays in the hinterlands,” Lt. Col. Herrera said.
“Our efforts to maintain peace and security in Zamboanga del Sur should be focused to inspire our stakeholders to support all the initiatives of the Matapat Battalion,” Lt. Col. Herrera said.
The Matapat Troopers were reminded by the Battalion Commander of the following:
- Observe: Every Matapat Trooper should observe and emulate how the Commanding Officer executes his job as the leader of the unit
- Comply: Every Matapat Trooper should exert his/her best efforts in compliance to all the tasks given without any need for constant reminders
- Be Responsible: Every Matapat Trooper should improve his/her attitude of being diligent and responsible
- Sustain the Gains: Every Matapat Trooper should sustain the gains and achievements of the unit by undergoing continuous training to improving his/her skills, and increasing confidence
- Be Dignified: Every Matapat Trooper should wear proper uniforms, be neat and presentable as models because this reflects back to the unit
- Servant Soldier Mindset: Every Matapat Trooper should give their best efforts especially in the conduct of community engagements